How To Avoid Bee Stings
For those who are allergic to bee stings, the warmer weather means being extra vigilant when out and about. In this article, we answer the common question “how to avoid bee stings” and share some useful tips from Allergy UK to help you avoid bee stings and stay safe.
It is important to remember that most people survive sting allergy reactions, even if they receive no effective treatment, so don’t panic! However, stings can cause unpleasant reactions and a severe local reaction may cause swelling over a period of hours and in some cases, the entire limb that has been stung may swell up. If swelling is near the face or neck, it should be watched carefully in case it causes breathing difficulty.
If you have an allergy, avoiding wasps and bees is key. Although it is difficult to avoid insects as they are difficult to spot, there are certain measures you can take to reduce the risk.
Tips on avoiding bee stings
- wear darker colours as brighter colours can attract insects
- avoid wearing highly scented sprays
- stay indoors when eating and drinking during the times when bees and wasps are most prevalent as bees and wasps are attracted to food
- avoid drinking out of cans where possible as wasps may crawl inside!
- avoid provoking bees or wasps and keep calm by gently brushing the insect away if it lands on you. More commonly wasps are more aggressive than bees yet both will usually sting in self-defence.
- drive with the windows up and the air conditioner on to avoid wasps and bees entering your vehicle
If your child has an allergy to bee stings, inform their teachers and ensure they have a management plan in place in case they have an allergic reaction.
You can find more information on allergy management plans here. Wearing a Medic Alert bracelet or medallion is also important as it will have details of the allergy and treatment required in case of an allergic reaction.